I have fond memories of doing puzzles when I was younger and always enjoyed doing them with all my family on a Sunday evening. I'm sure parents will not argue that children's jigsaw puzzles is truly an educational toy for toddlers and preschoolers. They have been around for a long time. Yet, it's often considered to be more superior compared to most recently-developed child educational toys. This is due to the fact that puzzles are low in cost and children rarely loose interest in them.
Puzzle enhances your child's development by:
- It improves hand-eye coordination since children will have to fit the pieces together properly.
- It develops logical thinking.
- It develops pre-reading skills by enhancing the ability of children to recognize shapes.
- It helps to develop children concentration.
- It enhances social skills such as taking turns and working together
- The easiness to match the piece with the hole in the board (for single-piece jigsaw puzzle) or to each other (for more-than-one-piece jigsaws).
- Number of pieces.
- Durability and ease of handle
We have been sorting out our puzzles this week and plan to put some a side which were missing pieces to make some crafts like these below. I have a problem with throwing things away so I will be hunting through pinterest for some more ideas.